Friday, November 16, 2012

Reading Rut Reversal

Mildred "Babe" Didrikson Zaharias won countless contests during her lifetime.  I confess, she almost beat me.  Don Van Natta Jr.'s book Wonder Girl threw me into a reading slump for over three weeks.  I normally don't spend that much time on a book that I'm not enjoying.  I believe that if you reach a point where you realize you are forcing yourself to continue reading a book, it's time to stop and take stock.  Reading is supposed to be enriching.  It should give you pleasure, not fill you with distaste.  I found myself wondering why anyone would spend time with Babe no matter how good she was at athletics.  Not having read any other books about this person, I accept that she may have been an obnoxious, self-serving braggart who would take any advantage over her opponents.  That is the picture I was given by this biographer.  Unfortunately, about one fourth of the way into this book, I just couldn't take her anymore.  I had stalled out.  She threw me into a reading slump.  Usually when I hit the "reading wall" like this, I look ahead in the book to see if it's worth it to continue the journey.  Nope, none of her amazing sporting triumphs could tempt me back into the book.  For a short time I felt dazed, empty, and dull-witted.  I came to the realization that I must either force myself to conquer Wonder Girl or accept defeat.  I accepted defeat and returned Babe to the library because I was ready to stop wondering why I was still trying to finish it in the first place.
This kind of thing can happen to any reader and I admit that this is not the first time it's happened to me.  It's rare that I give up on a book but I couldn't take her braggadocious personality and frankly, it seemed like she was the villain in her own life story.  The last time I wanted to take a book and stomp on it, I was reading Margaret George's Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles which is over eight hundred pages long.  I loved her other historical fiction and this one seemed like the perfect pick for a long Thanksgiving weekend with plenty (maybe a little too much) of family time and no television.  There again, the main character made me so angry I couldn't finish the book.  I kept thinking, "Mary, you're a queen, please take some initiative in your life and stop letting everyone trick you into stupid, nefarious plots!"  Over five hundred pages in, I just couldn't empathize with this character and that was it.  I was so frustrated with her inexplicable, self-destructive behavior that I had to let her go.
There is no shame in returning books and admitting that you had to move on from one because it had bogged you down.  Like many things that can't be changed in life, just let it go.  I returned Babe and a few other books that I felt had contributed to my slump.  As soon as those books hit the bottom of the bin, I felt better.  My mind was clear, my brain was hungry, a burden had been lifted from my shoulders and I was ready to move on.  Now I have some books on my pile (and many more waiting for me) that fill me with the buzz of anticipation that I associate with the reading experience.  Last night I started Reached by Ally Condie.    This is the last book in an excellent trilogy which is comparable to the Hunger Games.  This author spends more time developing the personal relationships of the characters and there aren't a bunch of kids killing each other off.  It's a welcome break from Babe.  Patiently waiting their turn are a few other books that have nothing to do with sports.  First is Ellen Baker's Keeping the House because it's about Wisconsin and looks like a good match for my upcoming Thanksgiving read-a-thon.  The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin is appealing because the setting is in the Pacific Northwest and I get a little homesick during the holidays.  Also on stand-by is Millennium People by Ballard.  I loved Empire of the Sun (book and movie) and am intrigued when an author comes out with something new after a long hiatus.  Underneath Ballard is an annotated Pride and Prejudice.  I adore Jane Austen and usually revisit at least one of her books every year.  Recently I read a glowing review for Tina Fey's Bossypants on audio which inspired me to get that for the long car ride "up north".  I hope it lives up to its hype. 
Holiday time is upon us.  The parades start next week.  The decorations are draped all over the stores.  Black Friday advertisements are everywhere.  We must shop, bake, wrap, visit, clean for parties and write out cards.  Don't forget to take a break from the madness and soothe your brain with a good book or book on CD.  Believe me, you can't gear up for the holidays if start them out in a slump.

No comments:

Post a Comment