Friday, May 16, 2014

That's a Keeper!

There are people who write and then there are people who know how to write. Reading can be a wonderful individual experience when one is enjoying the work of an accomplished author.  Whether the purpose of reading is for entertainment or knowledge, it's truly a bonus when both are delivered.  
My mother is a voracious reader.  The kind of reader that will pick up almost any book (except romance novels) and give it a chance.  When she comes to visit, I try to have several books of fiction and non-fiction for her to choose from.  Occasionally, one of my selections will be a home run with her.  When that happens, all bets are off and most activities are cancelled because pulling her out of a good book is like trying to separate a starving person from their food source.
During Mom's latest visit, I insisted that she read Things That Matter by Charles Krauthammer even though I knew she wouldn't have time to finish it.  I explained to her that though the main body of book is a compilation of the author's newspaper articles, there is much more to it than that.  It's not merely the subject matter that draws the reader in; it's the wording, the turn of phrase, and the personal stories that immerse the reader.
That's what happened to Mom.  Her reaction to the suggestion was the half-hearted comment "I think I've seen this guy on TV" but I prevailed.  (She also wasn't too excited about the other choices I presented to her.)  Less than ten minutes later, I heard her laughing.  Walking past her in my kitchen, it was instantly apparent to me that she was now lost to me until I dragged her out of the house for lunch.
On the way to lunch I asked her what she thought about the book.  Her response, "I'm going to have to buy that book when I get home.  That guy can write."  A ringing endorsement from a discerning lifetime reader who owns a Kindle.  Now that we've reached the age when downloading a book is more convenient than owning a book, it's reassuring to know that there remains those people who know what's important. When a book fills the dual need of entertainment and information, it's worth keeping on your actual bookshelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment